First Hundred Years (1844-1944)
Bunker Hill United Methodist Church traces its origin to 1844. The original Bunker Hill Church was an old log structure. For the first 50 years, the congregation met in the original log structure.
By 1893, we know that planning was underway for the construction of a new church meeting house. A letter from February 8, 1893 from E. M. Thornbro addressed to Mr. and Mrs. Davis, contains a number of inquiries concerning the construction of the new church building. By at least 1895, construction on the ‘new’ meeting house was complete. The 1895 church meeting house was a wood-frame structure with clapboard siding, which was typical of many rural churches at that time. It consisted of a single room with three windows on each side. The 'new' 1895 church meeting house could seat approximately 100 people.
This ‘new’ 1895 church meeting house served both the Methodist and Baptist congregations of the Bunker Hill area. However, a scheduling conflict eventually arose which resulted in the Baptist holding their service outdoors, across the street. Around the same time of the scheduling conflict, legend has it, that lightning knocked the doors off its hinges of the 1895 church meeting house. However, in the margin of an old bible is a note that states that “lightning did the door, but if that occurred during the conflict is not known.” Around 1909, the Baptist constructed their own separate meeting house, across the street. Some of the Bunker Hill Methodists contributed financially toward the construction of the new Baptist meeting house, which closely resembled the Methodist church in appearance.
In 1934, the 1895 Bunker Hill Methodist Church meeting house was remodeled, five classrooms were added, and electricity was installed. By 1942, there were 125 persons enrolled in Sunday School with an average attendance of nearly 65. By 1945, Bunker Hill Methodist Church boasted 144 members and was the largest church on a four-point pastoral charge (one pastor served four churches).
Modern History (1945 forward)
In 1958, the congregation of Bunker Hill United Methodist Church voted to build a new sanctuary and quickly raised 240% of an initial $10,000.00 goal. In 1960, after a service of appreciation in the 1895 meeting house, the congregation triumphantly marched into a new sanctuary, which currently serves the church today. By 1965, the church had paid off the debt incurred in the construction of the new sanctuary. Less than 10 years after completion of the new sanctuary, in 1969, construction began on the Sunday School building. In 1975, the church assumed the support of its first full time pastor that was dedicated solely to Bunker Hill United Methodist Church.
Since 2015, Bunker Hill United Methodist Church has undertaken more than $125,000.00 of renovations to the church complex, all paid in full by the generous contributions of the members of the congregation. The children’s Sunday School and Nursery areas have been renovated and modernized. Check out the Children's section of our website for some pictures. The old wooden playground was knocked down and a new modern, safe, color-coated steel structures were put in its place. Additionally, in late 2018 and early 2019 the electronics and lighting of the 1960 Sanctuary were replaced and upgraded to bring modern, state-of-the-art, energy efficient lighting and sound to Bunker Hill’s worship space.
In 2019, Bunker Hill United Methodist Church celebrated 175 years of ministry in eastern Forsyth County.